Sunday, February 12, 2017

ELF: Where Have You Been All Of My Life??

I was sort of a late bloomer when it comes to makeup, fashion, and beauty in general. Maybe it's the fact that I grew up in the 90's grunge era when flannels and Birkenstocks were kings. (Which, to be honest, was a hell of a lot easier than teenagers have it with trends these days).

Makeup, especially, was not something I was way into. I am sure the fact that I was a dancer and performer and spent Friday nights and all day Saturdays in stage makeup for all four years of high school, had something to do with that. I was also never taught the proper way to apply basic makeup. I learned from those around me, and from what I had to do for dance and colorguard. Fast forward to college when it was the mid 90's and burgundy lips outlined in black were all the rage. **cringe** Then...then I turned 40.

I have spent the majority of my adult years in minimal or no makeup. Then the big 4-0 happened and I suddenly got obsessed. It all started when I wanted to learn how to do better eye shadow and started searching YouTube for tutorials. I was sick in bed one weekend and I spent HOURS on YouTube. Then I found JamBeauty89. Sweet Jessica Braun. Her face always looks flawless and her reviews of products are so honest. She's adorable and I now feel like she's my little sister, waiting anxiously for her next video. I saw a video of her talking about a line I had never heard about before, ELF Cosmetics. It's because of her that I am now obsessed with ELF.

I found that Target now carried ELF, so I went and purchased a couple of items that Jessica had talked about on her channel. Then the spiral happened. I can't even tell you how many ELF products I now own. It is by far the best inexpensive cosmetics line I have ever used. Most of their products are hits, but there are some products that are misses. The price is so cheap, though, that I never feel bad for having spent the money to try a product that turns out to be a dud. The majority of their products are truly AMAZING. (Makeup and brushes ranging from $1-$12, with the majority of products in the $3-$6 range).

The first product from ELF I would recommend is their Flawless Finish Foundation. I have had numerous compliments on my face and makeup when I wear this foundation. I have really sensitive skin and this is the first drugstore brand that I have been able to wear without breakouts or skin irritations. I usually use a beauty blender or this Beautifully Precise Multi Blender by ELF to create a blended application. 

The second product from ELF I would recommend is from their skin care line: the Hydrating Bubble Mask. It's become a weekly ritual for me. It's kind of a weird sensation, tingling a bit when the bubbles start to form, but my skin never feels cleaner and softer than it does after I use this. Men and women both will love this mask. Plus, it's a fun way to spend a quiet evening at home.

It's been hard to choose the last product because I could write about dozens of their products I love, but, I will recommend their bronzer. I had the one in warm, but I used it all up and need to repurchase. I used it every single day until it was gone. It was such a subtle and gorgeous glow to the skin, making this California girl still "sun-kissed" in the fall and winter months.

Jessica started my obsession with ELF Cosmetics, which then led to my obsession with everything else she recommends. That led me to other YouTubers and other brands that I now love. Too Faced and Tarte have become favorites of mine as well. 

So, if you are just starting out with this beauty thing like I was, or if you just need a change, I highly recommend ELF. It's also great if you have a teen that is just starting out their journey into the cosmetics world and wants to try different products. I also highly recommend checking out Jessica's channel. I have learned so much about beauty and products from her. If you want some other recommendations, let me know in the comments. Happy shopping! .....and sorry not sorry about your impending obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment