Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Gilmore girls: Season 1 Episode 6 Rory's Birthday Parties

Wow. I can't believe it's been months since my last episode post. That was not the plan. But I suppose life got in the way. Work got a tad busier, I started actually doing things around my home to organize and clean, and dealing with anxiety just all have taken over. We all know how crazy the world is right now, but I am trying to get back to this. I refuse to let it fall to the side. I have been wanting to do this for years. So here we go... Rory's Birthday Parties.

Who doesn't want to go around their rich grandparent's house and put post-its on the stuff they want when they kick it? This always cracked me up. (Spoiler alert) But, as we know, in the revival Richard is gone and Emily sells the house. What happens to all of that stuff they put post-its on? I have wondered since the revival.

So...Rory's 16th birthday. 1. It's especially evil for Emily to insist that Rory miss spending her birthday with her friends and 2. In the pilot, she's apparently 16. But she wasn't. This episode is when she TURNS 16.

Jackson and his overalls make me miss overalls. Can I start wearing overalls again? The '90s are in again, right? Did overalls come back and I missed it? They were so comfortable. I LIVED in overalls. Especially when I broke my foot and nothing else besides shorts would fit over my cast. I had a pair of shorts overalls AND huge TLC style baggy long overalls. I am going to dream of overalls tonight...

Okay, so when Lorelai gets home she sits down at the table and cuts an apple to eat. Not so weird to most people, but in a future episode when Lorelai thinks she's pregnant and she sees an apple and eats it she mentions how fruit is not her thing and she doesn't get a "hankering" for them. She also says the last time she craved an apple was when she was pregnant with Rory. But here she is....eating an apple in front of a HUGE bowl of apples on the kitchen table. She's also wearing a HUGE ring on her left hand. Why not her right? Just weird.

One of the best scenes is the scene where Lorelai and Emily go shopping for Rory's birthday present. Does Lorelai think that a pink guitar purse is something Rory would like at 16? I mean, Rory's not THAT goofy. Maybe when she was 10? But I suppose it's better than anything else Emily mentions. But Lorelai's laugh at the end of the scene is gold. Emily jumps saying something about the bracelets lighting up and you can tell that Lauren is actually laughing at Kelly. It's cute.

It's funny that Luke asks Lorelai to marry him just to shut her up. So Luke DOES actually propose first. haha While I understand that Rory didn't want to ruin Lorelai's happy moment after shopping with her mom, you would think that, as close as they are, she would tell her anyway about the kids being invited to her party.

Is Lorelai's old bedroom supposed to be the same one that Rory stays in later in the series? She spends the night a few times (also lives in there at one point) and the room is different. The door is in another spot and I don't think there is a fireplace.

Is it just me or is it weird that when Rory and Paris run into each other at the college fair, Paris is wearing Harvard colors and Rory is wearing Yale's? Coincidence? They are rivals wearing rival school colors. Interesting....

For her birthday, Rory gets the computer I wanted back then. I remember being so jealous. It was the Mac iBook in turquoise with a handle. So fancy. haha When Emily and Richard show up, Lorelai mentions to Sookie that they have never been to the house and that they would come to Stars Hollow occasionally when Rory was little and they lived at the inn. However, in a later episode when Emily comes to the inn with Rory, she acts like she has never been there and has never seen the little house/shed they lived in? Seems unlikely.

I will leave you on this note: Why would anyone start a food fight in their own home? Too much to clean up!


Pop Culture:

Henny Youngman

Like a Virgin

Barbara Streisand

Elvis Presley

Jim Morrison

The Fly

Justin & Brittany

Barbara Hutton

The Waltons

Edith Wharton

Shirley Temple/Shirley Temple Black

Good Ship Lollipop

***I may have missed some on this episode. I watched it three times and was in a tough frame of mind, hence the break. But hopefully, I am back and will be on to the next episode soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment