Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Gilmore girls: Season 1 Episode 3 Kill Me Now

Rory and Richard go golfing.

This opening dinner scene has always cracked me up. First of all, it starts off explaining the history of Emily and all of the maids she rotates in and out. Plus, Lorelai does have a point with Anton and Sofia. How DO you mix up those two? Lauren's delivery of these lines is fantastic. It's always been one of my favorite openings. Then we have the introduction to.....the dead Grandmother Lorelai. Which, as we know from a few episodes later that she is not dead. And although they never state that she has passed, they use phrases like "WAS my mother" and "yes she WAS." 

Rory is definitely not athletically inclined. I have never heard of a school forcing you to choose a sport. I guess they do that instead of a regular gym class? At any rate, we have Emily forcing Richard to take Rory golfing, which neither of them seems to want to do. But I found it funny that Richard was SO against it. He seems to like Rory so much and be amazed by her all of the time, you would think he would want to share whatever he could with her. But I guess a man going to the country club to golf is the last thing he wants to share with his teenage granddaughter.

The wedding at the Inn. Twins marrying twins. Is there anything weirder? Does anyone know of this happening to anyone??

Richard saying that Rory would rather be at the mall is hilarious and shows how much he really doesn't know her yet. Of course, the golf outing for Emily is all about showing Rory off to their "friends" at the club. But why does she have to buy Rory such an ugly hat? There are better golf hats out there. You would think Emily, of all people, would have better taste than that!

It's embarrassing to admit, but until this episode of Gilmore girls, I 1. had no idea what/where Fez was and 2. didn't know what odious meant. Thank you, GG for giving me knowledge.

Sean Gunn's second appearance. Although he doesn't have a name in this episode, they just call him "this guy." I know that he wasn't an original character and was written into the show permanently later, but it's weird to watch these early episodes knowing that Kirk grew up in Stars Hollow and everyone knows who he is yet no one knows who he is in these.

Back in the diner, Lorelai learns that Rory had a good time with her Grandfather at the club. I don’t know why Luke ends up being surprised that Lorelai doesn’t eat/want her food. They always order and then leave full plates on the table. I don't know how much food they actually consume. I did read (I believe in Lauren's book) that they had spit buckets for in between takes. If you watch closely, Alexis especially will take the TINIEST bites of food. I don't blame her. Think if you were a character that ate all the time and had to take multiple takes. You wouldn't want to eat the food either! Plus I have heard that the dinner scenes at the Gilmore house the actual food tasted awful.

I love that they are out on the porch reading and doing homework. I desperately want a house that has a big porch like theirs. 

If you pay attention you will see that Sookie always has colored band-aids on her fingers. As a clumsy girl myself, I can relate. I also love the relationship between Jackson and Sookie. Although it is still just a business relationship at this point, they are so hilarious together and are relationship goals. 

I can understand where Lorelai is coming from being weirded out that Rory is bonding with her parents. If my family would have been just a little different, this could have easily have been me and my mom. She always felt disconnected from her family growing up and is very independent like Lorelai. She had me when she was 19 and she worked her ass off to make sure I was provided for. If her parents would have been a tad more normal (yes comparatively the Gilmores are normal haha) and rich, it’s possible things would have been just like this for us.


Pop Culture References: (I have left out all the song references because of the wedding-too many- and the book references).

Bob Barker

The lady with the lion head (famous plastic surgery victim)

Antonio Banderas - Side note, I used to live off the corner of the streets Antonio and Banderas, and people used to think I was kidding when I would give them directions.

Double-mint commercial

Tiger Woods

Pepe Le Pew

Thelonious Monk

Madonna and Sean Penn marriage




No comments:

Post a Comment