Monday, September 14, 2020

Gilmore girls: Season 1 Episode 4 The Deer Hunters

The Deer Hunters. One of my favorite episodes. Although, not a lot in this episode to dissect so this will be mostly just my thoughts.

We begin at the office supply store. I have always been part Rory and part Lorelai. I would have had a very specific list (with reasons why I need 3 highlighters), but I would have gone for the festive purple paper pad. In fact, I always wanted the fun colored paper pads when I was a kid, but they were more expensive. So, nope. Not in our house. haha But I was fine with the 3 ringed spiral paper pads if they had cool designs on the cover and they were usually cheaper than the fun colored paper.

Something about the next scene has always bugged me. Rory gets off the bus (multiple times) and is carrying so many bags of books. But where does she put it all? When she's in school there is no way her locker can hold all of that and when she comes out of class she only has one extra bag with her other than her backpack. Where have all the book bags gone? I think she had 6 total including her small lunch looking bag.

I find it funny now how Lane is eating a rice cake and Rory has a Snickers bar and she gives it to her because when Rory asks "what is that?" Lane replies, "Twelve calories." There was a day when I would choose the Snickers bar. But now that I don't eat processed sugar except for the occasional piece of dark chocolate, I would never go for the candy bar. And oddly enough, I eat a TON of rice cakes and actually really like them. What has happened to me????? I even now agree with Mrs. Kim that it is chocolate covered death. haha I guess I am getting old.

The parent-teacher meeting just shows us that kids do get their bullying from their surroundings (ie parents). Those parents in that room are so uptight and rude. I would so feel like Lorelai in that room. 

I take offense to Lorelai saying that nothing can be more embarrassing for Rory than the one time she admitted she liked Saved By the Bell. I love that show. Sure, it's awful and cheesy, but that's the awesomeness of it. I will always be a SBTB fan!

Hello! Sookie! Use different spoons to taste! I hate it on TV shows and movies when they taste something and then put the spoon right back in the dish. Here she feeds Lorelai from 3 different bowls with the same big spoon and then shoves the spoon in one of the bowls as she walks away. Hello! Food safety #1! And why would the restaurant critic mention his server had a goatee? I suppose it is possible, but I am not sure why that would even matter unless he was an amazing server and he didn't get his name and wanted to give him kudos. But seriously, get the name!

Rory and Lorelai wake up late and Rory has to drive herself to school. However, Rory isn't technically 16 yet. So unless the driving age in Connecticut is 15, she is driving illegally. Which it isn't. In fact, in Connecticut you can't even get a permit until age 16. I am assuming it was like this when this show aired. I don't think it has changed. Then she gets hit by a deer. I also get that she's compassionate and cares about the deer (I would be the same), but who gets out of the car to look for the deer when she's already running late? I would go back later after school.

I have always wondered how Lorelai got to the school. Obviously, someone had to have dropped her off, but we will never know. Not that it is important to the story at all, I have just always wondered. Cab? Sookie? Michel? Someone else?

Lorelai's outburst in the headmaster's office is awesome. I could totally see myself fighting like that if I had a kid in that situation. At the end of the episode, we get a glimpse in Lorelai's eye of what is to become of her and Max.

Pop Culture references:

Versaci

Black Sabbath

Steely Dan

Boston

Queen

Mozart

Artie Shaw

Joan of Arc

B52's

Saved By the Bell

Pat Benatar

Il Duce (in reference to Benito Mussolini)




No comments:

Post a Comment